Since those reading this are probably already aware of the impending start of the , I'm writing only to remind people that the time to nominate their favorite OP/ED/insert songs is fast running out.
To help those that haven't filled out their nominations yet let me help you with a look at the 15 songs I nominated after an exhaustive search through my anime music collection.:)
1. GURREN LAGANN - "LIBERA ME" FROM HELL - 2007, INSERT
2. NEON GENESIS EVANGELION - CRUEL ANGEL THESIS - 1995, OP
3. FLCL - RIDE ON SHOOTING STAR - 2000, ED
4. PARANOIA AGENT - YUME NO SHIMA SHINEN KOUEN - 2004, OP
5. MOON PHASE - NEKO MIMI MODE - 2004, OP
6. CLANNAD - DANGO DAIKAZOKU - 2007, ED
7. LAST EXILE - CLOUD AGE SYMPHONY - 2003, OP
8. ONLY YESTERDAY - LOVE IS A FLOWER, YOU ARE THE SEED - 1991, ED
9. K-ON! - TENSHI NI FURETA YO! - 2010, INSERT
10. KAIBA - NEVER - 2008, OP
11. KATANAGATARI - BAHASA PALUS - 2010, INSERT
12. SAYONARA ZETSUBOU SENSEI - RINGO MOGIRE BEAM - 2009, OP
13. MARIA+HOLIC - HANAJI - 2009, OP
14. SAYONARA ZETSUBOU SENSEI - KUUSOU RUMBA - 2008, OP
15. AIR - TORI NO UTA - 2004, OP
The only fixed criteria I had was that the whole song had to be great. Granted, most 1.5 minute snippets of the songs used for the OP/ED reflect the overall quality of the song but not always, which is always such a disappointing development when that happens. There were other criteria that I was tempted to use; but, I disregarded these in the end. For example, I didn't make it a requirement that the accompanying video for an OP/ED had to excellent but many of my picks - like the OP from Paranoia Agent and Maria+holic - are as memorable for the video as for the song.
Looking over my final picks I can't help but pick out a few themes running through.
* The first is the concentrations around a few animation studios. The top three songs all come from series animated by Gainax, Kyoto Animation nabbed three spots as well - 6, 9, 15 - and Shaft took four - 5, 12, 13, 14.
* The second is the uneven breakdown of where the songs came from. I had initially thought to use quotas to make sure I picked songs from all three sources (OP,ED, insert) but I decided to judge these songs solely on their merits. The result was that only 3 insert songs and 3 ending songs were picked, with the other 9 spots being earned by opening songs.
* The third theme is the slightly older age of my list compared to many of the other lists I've seen. I did not intentionally dismiss the more recent stuff; instead, I think this is more of a reflection of the relationships I've developed over the years with the songs on list.
I hope my list helped jog the memories of, at least, a few people reading this; which, in turn, will convince a few people to vote for these songs.